Public Policy Council
What We Do
The Public Policy Council advises the CEO of CFP Board on public policy issues affecting CFP Board, its certificants and members of the public. Meeting twice a year, the Public Policy Council plays an integral role in providing expert advice and recommending timely actions on the latest policy developments of interest to CFP Board.
The Public Policy Council members regularly identify significant public policy issues, prioritize them and develop policy position statements for consideration by CFP Board. Some past topics include advocacy efforts related to:
- Securities and Exchange Commission's Regulation Best Interest rulemaking package;
- Retirement security policies in the United States;
- Nontraditional fees for financial planning services, such as retainers and hourly/monthly rates;
- Department of Labor's Fiduciary Rule; and
- Title regulation of financial planners.
Who We Are
All Public Policy Council members are appointed by the CEO, and are individuals of good reputation and high moral character. The majority of the Public Policy Council is composed of public members. Other members include at least two CFP® professionals, who provide the latest on-the-ground experience with clients. Each Public Policy Council member serves a three-year term.
Public Policy Council Members
Elizabeth Cox, CFP®
Merit Financial Partners
Amy Ouellette, CFP®
New York, NY
Los Angeles, CA
Consumer Federation of America
Ohio Department of Commerce, Division of Securities