Index of Case Study Videos Applying the Code and Standards
CFP Board presents these case study videos to provide practical guidance to CFP® professionals and their firms on the Code of Ethics and Standards of Conduct ("Code and Standards"), effective October 1, 2019.
Each video illustrates a case study presenting a hypothetical factual circumstance then asking a question about a CFP® professional’s duty in that circumstance under the Code and Standards. The video then reviews the response options, identifies the best response, and then discusses the rationale for why that response is the best and why the other response options are not the best.
CFP Board intends for these quick videos to guide CFP® professionals in applying the Code and Standards to their own practice.
Below is a list of the case study videos by topic:
Conflicts of Interest
- The Duty to Disclose Material Conflicts of Interest When Making A Rollover Recommendation
- The Duty to Disclose Material Conflicts of Interest When Responding to a Client’s Investment Inquiry
- The Duty to Disclose Material Conflicts of Interest When Recommending a Product Issued by an Affiliate
- The Fiduciary Duty Applies to a Rollover Recommendation
- The Fiduciary Duty Applies to an Opinion About a Financial Asset
- The Duty to Follow a Client's Instruction to Use a Specific Firm for Execution
- The Fiduciary Duty to Obtain Factual Information When Working on a Team
Working in Teams
Access More Guidance Materials
This compliance resource is part of a full library of resources that CFP® professionals can use to comply with the Code and Standards. More guidance materials can be found in our Compliance Resources Library.