For Career Changers
If you're considering a career in financial planning, earning your CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ certification gets you on the path to a rewarding career in a rapidly growing field. The CFP® mark after your name signals to clients and employers that you're a knowledgable partner who is committed to putting your clients' interests first.
Benefits of Becoming a CFP® Professional
Here are a few reasons why earning your CFP® certification is well worth the investment.
of CFP® professionals say they are satisfied with their decision to pursue CFP® certification.
of CFP® professionals say that certification has had a positive impact on their career satisfaction.
of CFP® professionals believe certification gives them more credibility in the eyes of their clients.
Tips for Career Changers
Most people change careers at least 3 times in their lifetime. Here are some ways you can position yourself for success along your path to becoming a CFP® professional.
- Know what transferable skills you have to offer your future employer. In the case of financial planning, there are several key skills that you've probably developed at previous jobs, including communication/interpersonal, analytical, relationship management, marketing and project management.
- Become a “superfan” of the field. Learn all about the financial planning profession by subscribing to industry publications, joining professional associations and attending conferences/social events.
- Network with professionals in the field. Informational interviews are a great way to learn about the field and build your list of contacts. Who knows – you may even find a mentor or a new connection that leads to a job.
- Have a solid job search strategy and be flexible. A well thought-out plan for job searching will minimize frustration and increase your chances of landing interviews. Initially, it’s important to focus on the areas that offer more jobs in your field, and also be creative and flexible in your search.
Visit the CFP Board Career Center
Learn from Others on the Certification Path
What Is Financial Planning?
Many people believe that personal financial planning is all about budgeting, but that's just one part of it. As a CFP® professional, you'll become your clients' trusted partner, helping them build a roadmap to secure their financial future and achieve their goals.
Start your journey to CFP® Certification
- Track your progress with the CFP® Certification Tracker
- Post your resume at the Career Center
- Connect with a mentor who can guide you
- Register and prepare for the exam
- Find career and financial support
- Connect with other candidates at our online forum