Consumer Advocacy Expands With CFP Board Ambassador Program in Seven Regions Across the Country
CFP Board Ambassadors Will Serve As Local Resource About Personal Finance Issues
WASHINGTON, DC, October 6, 2010 — Responding to financial insecurity many Americans feel today, Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc. has expanded its national consumer advocacy program through the creation of the CFP Board Ambassador program.
With the initial phase of this new program, seven regions of the country will have a CFP Board Ambassador in their communities as a representative of CFP Board with the local media, policymakers and community organizations.
“As it continues to educate the public on how competent, ethical financial planning can increase the quality of life for all Americans and help them to achieve their life goals, CFP Board is profoundly grateful for the enthusiasm, expertise, and concern for the financial well-being of their communities shown by these seven dedicated professionals,” said Kevin Keller, CEO of CFP Board.
These extraordinary individuals are CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professionals and chosen on the basis of their demonstrated leadership skills, passion for financial planning, and belief in CFP Board’s mission to serve the public.
The 2010 CFP Board Ambassadors are:
- Lynn Ballou, CFP®, of the Bay Area, CA
- Dan Candura, CFP®, of Boston, MA
- Marilyn Capelli Dimitroff, CFP®, of Detroit, MI
- Mark DiGiovanni, CFP®, of Atlanta, GA
- Constance Stone, CFP®, of Cleveland, OH
- Neal van Zutphen, CFP®, of Phoenix, AZ
- Jason Whitby, CFP®, of Miami, FL
CFP Board Ambassadors are all volunteers. Their contributions will include, among other things:
- Educating the public on the importance of having a financial plan that supports one’s life goals, and of working with a competent, ethical financial professional;
- Representing and explaining the meaning of the CFP® certification, the recognized symbol of excellence in personal financial planning; and
- Supporting CFP Board’s Consumer Advocacy program, which currently includes broadening the awareness of CFP Board’s “Lifelong Financial Strategies” initiative, a series of financial tips designed for different stages of the lifetime earning cycle and publicizing CFP Board’s recently-released Consumer Guide to Financial Self-Defense, a handbook of tips on how ordinary savers and investors can protect themselves from unethical or incompetent financial advisors.
“CFP Board Ambassadors are critical to the success of the financial planning profession and our organization,” said CFP Board Consumer Advocate Eleanor Blayney, CFP®. “These Ambassadors will give local voice to our consumer advocacy and mission to benefit the public.”
# # #
CFP® - The Recognized Standard of Excellence in
Personal Financial Planning