Richard B. Wagner Memorial Scholarship Fund
About the Scholarship
The Richard B. Wagner Memorial Scholarship Fund was established jointly by the CFP Board Center for Financial Planning and The Financial Planning Association® (FPA®) in an effort to advance and diversify the CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional workforce.
The Fund honors the memory of Dick Wagner, who held the CFP® certification and was a well-known thought leader in the financial planning community with a passion for building the financial planning profession and empowering younger financial planners to succeed. He passed away in 2017 at age 68.
The scholarship awards up to $5,000 to students seeking to complete a CFP Board Registered Certificate program that would qualify them to sit for the CFP® exam. Applications will be reviewed by an independent Scholarship Review Panel comprised of CFP® professionals. Scholarship recipients will have up to 6 months to enroll in a Certificate Program and up to 2 years to complete their program in order to receive their full award.
- Must be a U.S. resident;
- Must possess an undergraduate degree;
- Must be enrolled in a CFP Board-Registered Certificate Program, or a prospective candidate who will matriculate in a CFP Board-Registered Certificate Program within 6 months;
- Must be from an underrepresented population within the financial planning profession in terms of gender, race, ethnicity, disability or sexual orientation.
- Must have a demonstrated financial need, as explained in an essay to be submitted during the application process.
- Demonstrated commitment to the financial planning profession, as explained in an essay to be submitted during the application process;
- Must exhibit professionalism and dignity and demonstrate the ability to enhance and maintain the profession’s public image. Applicants that are selected to proceed to the final round of the application review process will be required to pass a background check;
- Scholarship recipients must be eligible to become a CFP® professional and will be required to provide documentation of certificate program costs prior to receiving their award.
Please note that applications will only be accepted through the online form. Please do not attempt to submit application materials (other than official transcripts) via mail, fax or email.
When submitting application essays and materials, please pay close attention to spelling, grammar and presentation.
Deadline for Submissions
This page will be updated with specific dates in the coming months.