On World Financial Planning Day, Plan Well to Live Well
Consumers around the world struggle with managing their finances. According to global consumer research from the Financial Planning Standards Board (FPSB), only 19% of people around the world feel successful at sticking to their financial strategies. Think about what that means for the other 81% of the global population.
Four out of five consumers do not feel confident that they know enough about financial matters or that they will achieve their financial goals. That statistic can be pretty disheartening.
Here in the United States, the story is no different – consumers often face daunting and conflicting challenges like managing student debt, navigating high healthcare costs, and planning for financial emergencies, all while trying to save for retirement. Without a comprehensive financial plan, these challenges can seem insurmountable.
That’s where financial planners come in.
CFP Board is thrilled to join our counterparts at the FPSB and the entire global community of more than 181,000 CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER professionals to recognize World Financial Planning Day (#WFPD) on October 2, 2019. Now in its third year, World Financial Planning Day helps raise awareness of the value of financial planning, having a financial plan and working with a competent and ethical financial planner who puts their clients’ interests first.
The theme of this year’s WFPD is Plan Well to Live Well (#PlanWell2LiveWell), and the message behind this theme resonates in any language.
Consumers don’t have to leave to chance their opportunity to live well. Developing a financial plan puts consumers in control of their financial futures, and every day, CFP® professionals across the world do just that by providing competent, ethical advice to help set their clients up for financial success. FPSB research shows that people with a financial plan are nearly three times more likely to feel very confident that they will achieve their life goals.
Financial planning is truly a global citizenship skill, and one that will enable people around the world to feel more confident and secure, both today and tomorrow. Word Financial Planning Day helps spread that important message, which has the potential to help millions across the globe increase their financial literacy and, ultimately, their sense of security.On WFPD, CFP® professionals in 27 countries and territories will provide programs and events to promote consumer awareness and understanding of the value of financial planning, covering topics such as debt management, financial emergency preparation, home ownership, saving, investment planning and retirement. For more information about events around the world, visit https://worldfpday.org.
At home in the US, CFP Board will be promoting World Financial Planning Day across our various channels, including on our LetsMakeAPlan.org site and across our social media accounts.
We encourage all CFP® professionals to participate in the online conversation by following our Twitter and Facebook accounts, and sharing World Financial Planning Day posts with their own networks on October 2 using the hashtags #WFPD and #PlanWell2LiveWell.
CFP Board is proud to stand with the global community of financial planners to help educate the public on the importance of financial planning, both at home and overseas.
This article was originally published on LinkedIn on October 2, 2019.
About the Author: Kevin Keller, CAE is Chief Executive Officer of CFP Board. Under his leadership, in support of CFP Board’s mission to benefit the public by granting the CFP® certification and upholding it as the recognized standard of excellence for competent and ethical personal financial planning.