Scheduling Your Testing Appointment with Prometric
Registration & Scheduling
To sit for the CFP® exam, you must complete CFP Board’s exam registration form, submit payment of the exam registration fee, and then schedule your testing appointment with CFP Board’s testing administrator, Prometric.
Testing appointments are scheduled on a first-come, first-serve basis.
We encourage you to register for the exam 60 days or more in advance for the best date and site availability.
Registration Process Overview
- Create a CFP Board account.
If you have previously registered for the exam or have already created your CFP Board account, you can simply log into your account to start the registration process.
- Log into your CFP Board account and complete the exam registration form.
In the “Exam” area of your dashboard, see the "Register" section for instructions.
- Submit payment of the exam registration fee.
The exam registration process in your online CFP Board account allows you to pay the registration fee by credit card.
- Schedule your testing appointment with Prometric.
After submitting payment of the registration fee, you will be provided with instructions for selecting your testing appointment on the Prometric website.
Scheduling Your Testing Appointment with Prometric
You can schedule your testing appointment after you complete CFP Board’s exam registration form and pay the exam registration fee (see above). CFP Board will notify you via email when your eligibility is confirmed and provide you with a link to the Prometric website. On the Prometric website, you can then schedule your test day and testing site location.
These instructions will be emailed to you by CFP Board when you register and your eligibility is confirmed.
- Follow the link in your confirmation email to the Prometric website and select “Certified Financial Planner” from the dropdown menu.
- Select “United States” and the state where you would like to take the CFP® exam.
- Select “Schedule an Appointment” from the top of the page.
- Enter your CFP Board ID number in the “Eligibility ID” field, then, enter the first four letters of your last name.
- Use the search box to enter the area where you would like to take the CFP® exam.
- Select the “Schedule an Appointment” link from the list of available test centers.
- To select your testing date and time, select the button labeled “Find available seats in a 3-month period,” then select the month when the CFP® exam is offered (March, July or November). Click the “Go” button to find available appointments.
- Use the calendar display to select a highlighted date from the clickable links. Use the “Select an Available Time” list to identify available timeslots for the date selected. Select an appointment time for taking the CFP® exam.
- Complete the requested additional information. Note that your CFP Board ID, first name and last name will be pre-filled on the form. Enter your address and contact information into the appropriate fields. Click “Next” to continue.
- Verify your selected CFP® exam date and location. Ensure that this information matches your selection. If changes need to be made, use the “Back” button to revise your appointment. If the testing appointment information is correct, select the “Complete Appointment” button to confirm.
- Upon confirmation, you will receive an email from Prometric with your testing appointment confirmation details. Please save or print a copy of the appointment confirmation for your records.
Scheduling is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Register for the exam 60 days or more in advance to help secure the most options for testing dates, times and locations.
Education Verification, Postponement and Withdrawal Requests
The deadline to request a withdrawal/postponement is the same date as the late registration deadline.
CFP Board must receive verification of completion of the education coursework requirement for CFP® certification by the Education Verification Deadline. Failure to meet the deadline results in de-registration, release of the seat to other candidates, and postponement. The postponement fee is $500.
Failure to Schedule
Candidates who are fully registered with CFP Board (i.e. exam application completed, exam fee paid, and education verification completed), but have not scheduled an appointment with Prometric will have until the withdrawal/postponement deadline (5 days prior to the start of the testing window) to secure an exam seat with Prometric. Failure to secure an exam site with Prometric will result in de-registration and postponement. The fee for postponement is $500.
The postponement fee is $500. Candidates may postpone an exam only once per registration. The subsequent exam appointment must be rescheduled by the next two exam administrations testing window.
Please note that the postponement deadline is the same date as the late registration deadline.
Candidates who decide not to pursue the exam after registering and wish to withdraw their application are eligible to receive a $200 refund. Please note that the withdrawal deadline is the same date as the late registration deadline.