CFP Board is committed to ensuring access to the CFP® exam for all individuals with disabilities and supports the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA).
CFP Board provides reasonable and appropriate accommodations to individuals with disabilities who document a need for testing accommodations.
You can request testing accommodations after completing the exam registration form and making payment to CFP Board by submitting a Testing Accommodations Request Form.
Requests for testing accommodations are inherently individualized and considered on a case-by-case basis. Consequently, no single type of accommodation will necessarily be appropriate for all individuals with disabilities, and simply demonstrating that an individual meets diagnostic criteria for a particular medical condition or disorder does not mean that person is automatically entitled to testing accommodations.
The testing accommodations available include, but are not limited to:
- Extended Time: Standard Time + 50% (total: 9 hours)
(Session 1: Test 4.5 hours; Session 2: Test 4.5 hours)
- Additional 30 minute break per testing session (total: 7 hours)
(Session 1: Test 3.5 hours; Session 2: Test 3.5 hours)
- Large-Font Exam
- Private Room
Testing accommodation requests are not required for the use of eyeglasses and hearing aids; insulin pump, if attached to your body (medical equipment not attached to your body requires an accommodation request); anti-glare screen; or cane/crutches/walker.
Submitting a Testing Accommodation Request
If you require testing accommodations, you must register for the exam and submit the required documentation by the education verification deadline for your desired exam appointment. CFP Board cannot guarantee a full review for requests received after this time frame.
Testing accommodation requests must be submitted prior to each exam administration as requests are not carried forward from one exam administration to the next.
Please note that upon review, CFP Board may request additional documentation, which will require additional processing time.
Testing Accommodations Request Form
A completed Testing Accommodations request Form and appropriate supporting documentation are required for each testing accommodation request.
Please note: all sections of the form are required. Incomplete forms may delay the decision process.
Testing accommodation requests must be accompanied with documentation from a qualified diagnostic professional demonstrating a current, comprehensive medical or psychiatric or psychological evaluation. This will include detailed letter(s) and report(s) from the evaluator that meet the minimum format, currency, and content requirements outlined below. Evaluations must be printed on the diagnostic professional’s letterhead and be signed by the diagnostic professional. The evaluation must meet the following requirements:
Currency Requirements: The diagnostic professional’s evaluation must be completed within the relevant timeframe(s) outlined below:
- No more than 1 Year prior to anticipated CFP® exam date for physical disabilities, chronic health conditions, psychological, and psychiatric disorders.
- No more than 5 Years prior to anticipated CFP® exam date for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, learning, and other cognitive disorders.
Content Requirements: The evaluation must include:
- A clear and specific diagnosis, with evidence that all diagnostic criteria for the disorder have been met, and confirmation that the symptoms are not due to other disorders, such as an emotional disorder, physical disorder, or English as a second language (ESL) factors.
- The history of the exam applicant’s impairment, including the age that the symptoms of the disorder/condition first appeared, the age of first diagnosis, and a history of the impact of the disorder/condition.
- The current impact of the disorder/condition on the exam applicant’s academic functioning, employment (if relevant), and other activities of daily living.
- The current functional limitations likely to affect the exam applicant’s ability to take the CFP® exam under standard conditions.
- Specific recommendations for testing accommodations, with a specific rationale for each requested accommodation.
requesting a second review for an Accommodations Decision
If you wish to request a second review for an accommodations decision, you will need to download and complete a Testing Accommodations Second Review Form, and provide us with additional documentation to review.
Accommodations experts will review all appeals.