Collection and Dissemination of Information
Information We Collect
- Personal Information: CFP Board may collect information that identifies you when you interact with CFP Board and provide such information to CFP Board such as, but not limited to, when you create a CFP Board account, apply for CFP® certification, register for the CFP® Certification Examination or a registered program and purchase products from CFP Board.The types of Personal Information CFP Board collects may include, among other things, your full name, business address, home address, email address, telephone number, fax number, credit card number, education, job description, employer, criminal history, gender, investigative information, social security number and date of birth. CFP Board may also receive Personal Information about CFP® professionals and Candidates for CFP® certification from continuing education providers, registered programs and other individuals or entities with whom CFP Board has a professional relationship.
- Non-personal Information: As you interact with the Sites, CFP Board may collect information that is not Personal Information but may disclose aspects of your browsing history or other information about you through the use of a variety of technologies, including, but not limited to, cookies, tags, beacons, Internet Protocol (IP) address tracking/URL tracking, Google DoubleClick and other tools.Cookies are pieces of code or text placed on a user’s computer hard drive when some websites are visited. These cookies may be used to collect information such as login, shopping cart contents, website pages or advertisements viewed by the visitor. When the visitor returns to the website, the cookies will aid in recognizing the visitor and customizing their user experience accordingly.“Tags” and web beacons refer to code scripts that are primarily used to track visitors’ activities on the Sites by web analytics software. CFP Board uses analytics data and the DoubleClick cookie to serve ads based on a user’s prior visits to the Sites.Additionally, cookies, tags and other tools placed by third parties may collect other information about you such as, but not limited to, your industry, company size, job function, seniority level, etc.Depending on your browser settings, you may or may not be notified that cookies are in use and be able to refuse them. Users may opt out of cookies and other trackers by changing the setting on their browsers. Refusal to allow cookies may prevent the visitor from taking advantage of all available features of the Sites.
How CFP Board Uses and Shares Personal Information
Once collected, CFP Board may use Personal Information in a variety of ways including, but not limited to:
- Providing service communications such as bill reminders, order confirmations and other customer service messages.
- Responding to inquiries from the public regarding the certification status of an individual.
- Providing and/or selling lists to third parties such as continuing education providers, registered programs and other individuals or entities with whom CFP Board has a professional relationship as described below.
- Compiling directories.
- Sharing with third parties as required by law or to protect the rights of CFP Board.
- Providing information to a governmental agency, industry self-regulatory organization or employer of CFP® professionals.
In addition, CFP Board, through telephone or email responses or through its “Find a CFP® Professional” and “Verify CFP® Certification Status” consumer search tools may provide any of the following Personal Information, including, but not limited to:
- Whether the individual has ever been certified by CFP Board, the date of that certification, and, if not currently certified, the date on which certification lapsed or was otherwise terminated and the reason the certification lapsed or was otherwise terminated.
- Whether the individual has indicated he/she is in the practice of financial planning.
- Any past and/or current public disciplinary actions against the individual by CFP Board.
- The business name, address, and phone number of the individual.
- The renewal date for the individual’s current CFP® certification.
- Whether the individual has filed for bankruptcy.
From time to time CFP Board provides or sells Personal Information to third parties, including but not limited to, continuing education providers, registered programs and other individuals or entities with whom CFP Board has a professional relationship in the form of a list, as CFP Board deems appropriate.
A fee may be charged for the list, and the list may be used only one-time. There is no limit on the number of lists that may be purchased. CFP Board does not sell or share email contact information with third parties unless you opt-in to permit the sharing of your email address for a specific purpose.
CFP Board reserves the right to deny any requests for information.
How to Opt Out
Users may opt-out of receiving future information from CFP Board or from being included on lists CFP Board provides or sells to education providers, industry organizations, associations, vendors or businesses either by selecting the “opt-out” box located at the bottom of web-based forms, by selecting the “opt-out” box located in the Contact Information section of a CFP® professional’s online CFP Board account, by selecting the “opt-out” box located at the bottom of the online Certification Application form, or by emailing or faxing notification to the numbers listed below in this section.
Visitors to the Sites may opt out of the DoubleClick Cookie by visiting the Google advertising opt-out page or they may opt out on the Google Analytics opt-out page. Google has additional information available about their Remarketing Privacy Guidelines, Policies and Restrictions. Users may opt out of cookies and other trackers by changing the setting on their browsers.
Should you have additional questions, comments, concerns, or want to opt-out of certain information dissemination please contact us by regular mail, email, fax or phone:
Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc.
1425 K Street NW #800
Washington, DC 20005
Legally Required to Disclose Information
In accordance with Article 17.2 of CFP Board’s Disciplinary Rules and Procedures (“Disciplinary Rules”), CFP Board may release the records of proceedings conducted pursuant to the Disciplinary Rules when disclosure is required by the legal process of a court of law, governmental agency or an industry self-regulatory organization having appropriate jurisdiction.
CFP Board shall also reserve the right to disclose information obtained through the Sites, when disclosure is required by the legal process of a court of law, governmental agency or an industry self-regulatory organization having appropriate jurisdiction.
Physical, electronic and managerial procedures have been employed to safeguard the security and integrity of personal information, including social security numbers. All CFP Board agents and contractors with access to personal information obtained on CFP Board's Sites are also bound to adhere to this policy. To protect the security of information supplied by users in order to access restricted areas, users must provide email addresses and passwords to access their information. Although CFP Board takes these measures to safeguard against unauthorized disclosure of a user’s data or personal information, CFP Board cannot control Internet transmissions and cannot guarantee or warrant that personal information transmitted to CFP Board will never be compromised.
Accessing and Changing Your Information
If you are a registered user of the Sites, you may review and update or correct your information online or by contacting us as provided above.
Changes to Collection and Dissemination of Information Policy
CFP Board reserves the right, at any time, to add to, change, update, or modify this Policy, simply by posting such addition, change, update, or modification on this site and may require CFP® professionals to consent to certain changes. Any such addition, change, update, or modification will be effective immediately upon posting on the site.
Last Modified: August 6, 2014