1. What are the requirements for Continuing Education (CE) program content?
CFP Board accepts CE programs that address the Principal Topics
list and have at least one learning objective identified by the sponsor. A learning objective must be a specific, measurable statement of what participants will learn in the program.
2. What topics do not qualify for CE credit?
There are several topic exclusions:
- Programs with content focused on practice management information do not qualify for credit. CFP Board defines practice management as programs focused on the planning, development and management of a CFP® certificant's business operations, including topics such as office management, business model design, budgeting processes, leadership training, and other activities that do not directly contribute to the knowledge, skills and abilities needed for a CFP® certificant to provide competent and ethical financial planning to clients.
- Marketing is a topic excluded by CFP Board for CE credit.
- Software/technology, company-specific, and product-specific discussions also do not qualify for CE credit.
3. Can I submit a single application for a conference?
Each session of conference-styled events should be submitted individually for review. Each session that is at least one CE credit hour (50 minutes) should be submitted as a separate program.
4. How long should programs be?
All programs require at least 50 minutes of instruction time in order to qualify for 1 CE credit hour. After the first hour has been satisfied, half-hour increments (25 minutes) will be accepted for half-a-credit each, with total hours rounded down to the last full half-hour.
5. Does the annual CE Sponsor registration fee cover program application fees?
No. Each program application submission incurs a separate program application fee as outlined in the CE Provider Fee Schedule.
6. My organization is a nonprofit. Are the registration costs different?
Yes. Be sure to notify CFP Board's CE Sponsor staff if your organization is a nonprofit in order to qualify for the reduced fee structure. Organizations with a government tax exempt status are categorized as nonprofits by CFP Board. Documentation of nonprofit status is required in order to qualify under the reduced fee structure.
7. Do I have to submit my program application online?
No, but there is a manual processing fee for any General CE Program application not submitted through the online form. The manual processing fee applies to any General CE Program application received via mail, fax, and/or as a PDF attachment to an email.
8. How long will it take to assess my program application?
All program applications are reviewed in the order in which they are received. CFP Board may take up to 7 to 10 business days to review initial submissions, at which point additional information may be requested from the sponsor to complete the review.
9. Why did CFP Board not accept my program application?
CFP Board’s CE Sponsor staff sends an email confirmation outlining the reason(s) for denying a program application. Some common reasons for denying a program are: not meeting the minimum time or examination requirements, not addressing topics identified in the list of Principal Topics, or for focusing on an excluded topic (i.e. product specific, practice management, etc.).
10. Can I submit a program application after a program has been held?
Yes, but you will incur a late fee, as outlined in the CE Provider Fee Schedule. CFP Board encourages registered CE Sponsors to submit their program applications to CFP Board as soon as possible and well in advance of the program offering date.
11. The administrative contact for our CE program has changed. What should I do?
Keep CFP Board's CE Sponsor staff informed of any contact information changes by emailing email@example.com. This will ensure your company/organization’s point of contact is receiving information from CFP Board regarding status of program applications, possible deficiencies and updated requirements.
12. Should I submit an attendance report for my program?
Registered Sponsors are required to submit attendance reports, within four weeks of successful program completion, for CE programs actively registered with CFP Board. CFP Board's CE Sponsor staff cannot process attendance reports for inactive programs and/or for programs which have not yet been accepted by CFP Board with a pending status.
Attendance reports (“batches”) are processed based on the information provided by the Sponsor. To ensure timely and accurate processing of your records, please be sure all information in the batch report is accurate and meet the formatting requirements.
13. How can a CE Sponsor or a CFP® professional submit feedback on CE programs?
CFP Board actively seeks feedback about CE programs. Professionals are encouraged to submit a CE Program Evaluation Form any time you have comments about a continuing education course. Evaluation forms should be submitted directly to CFP Board’s CE department via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
14. How do I contact CFP Board's CE Sponsor staff?
Contact CFP Board’s Continuing Education Staff directly at email@example.com.