The Milton Stern Scholars Fund
About the Scholarship
The Milton Stern Scholars Fund is a scholarship program that honors the late Milton Stern’s memory, professionalism and contribution to the financial planning profession.
The scholarship awards up to $5,000 to students seeking to complete a CFP Board-Registered Certificate program that would qualify them to sit for the CFP® exam.
The amount of the award will be based on submitted documentation showing program costs. Eligible candidates must be eligible to become CFP® professionals, as well as demonstrate financial need and a commitment to the financial planning profession. If not already enrolled, scholarship recipients will have up to 6 months to enroll in a CFP Board-Registered Certificate Program in order to receive the award. Recipients will have up to 2 years to complete their program in order to receive their full award.
- Must be a U.S. resident;
- Must possess an undergraduate degree;
- Must be enrolled in a CFP Board-Registered Certificate Program, or a prospective candidate who will matriculate in a CFP Board-Registered Certificate Program within 6 months;
- Must demonstrate commitment to the financial planning profession, as explained in an essay to be submitted during the application process. In the essay, the candidate should explain why she or he wants to become a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional;
- Must demonstrate financial need, as explained in an essay to be submitted during the application process. In the essay, the candidate should explain why she or he has a financial need for the scholarship;
- Must exhibit professionalism and dignity and demonstrate the ability to enhance and maintain the profession’s public image. Applicants that are selected to proceed to the final round of the application review process will be required to pass a background check indicating eligibility to become a CFP® professional;
- Scholarship recipients will be required to provide documentation of certificate program enrollment (e.g., academic transcript, official course completion letters) and costs prior to receiving their award;
- Scholarships are awarded regardless of age, race, gender, religion or sexual orientation.
Please note that applications will only be accepted through the application form below. Please do not attempt to submit application materials via mail, fax or email. When submitting application essays and materials, please pay close attention to spelling, grammar and presentation.
Scholarship awards will be disbursed in two equal installments. To receive the first installment, recipients will have to demonstrate proof of enrollment in a CFP Board-Registered Certificate program. If not currently enrolled in a program, recipients will have up to 6 months to enroll after being notified of the award. The second installment will be awarded either upon completing the program (if the awardee has already started coursework), or when the awardee is half-way through the program (if the awardee has not yet started coursework).
The next application window will open in 2021.
The Milton Stern Scholars Fund is part of the CFP Board Center for Financial Planning’s scholarship program, designed to attract and develop the next generation of financial planners.
I am truly grateful that the family of Milton Stern chose to carry on his legacy in such a thoughtful way. I look forward to approaching financial planning with a new depth and perspective. I feel strongly that every family deserves to have a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ on their team.