Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the CFP Board Ambassador program. CFP Board is accepting applications from interested CFP® professionals through August 18, 2014. Please read the information below.
What Is a CFP Board Ambassador?
CFP Board Ambassadors are responsible for promoting CFP Board’s mission and increasing awareness of CFP® certification at a local level, in their own communities and regions. CFP Board Ambassadors may act as liaisons with their local media, participate in leadership initiatives and community-building events on behalf of CFP Board, or meet with local policymakers to promote CFP Board’s public policy positions. The CFP Board Ambassador program is a network of CFP® professionals across the country working in unison to increase awareness of CFP® certification. We have seen tangible benefits not only for the CFP® professionals involved as CFP Board Ambassadors, but for the CFP® professional community at large.
Who Can Apply to Be a CFP Board Ambassador?
The CFP Board Ambassador program is open to current CFP® professionals who:
- Are considered by CFP Board to be in good standing, with no private or public discipline issued by CFP Board, and
- Are currently involved in providing personal financial planning services to individuals.
We are looking for volunteers who are actively involved within the financial planning profession, whether through teaching, volunteer activity, or leadership activities with FPA or NAPFA at the chapter or national levels. Qualified applicants will have demonstrated community involvement and effective presentation skills, including spoken and written communication. Preference will be given to applicants who have experience communicating with the media and/or who are published authors or contributors to online content such as blogs or personal finance Web sites. We seek CFP Board Ambassadors who are truly passionate about the financial planning profession and CFP Board’s mission to benefit the public by granting the CFP® certification and upholding it as the recognized standard of excellence for personal financial planning.
What Commitments Do CFP Board Ambassadors Make?
CFP® professionals selected as CFP Board Ambassadors are expected to:
- Participate in a monthly webinar (approximately 1 hour)
- Seek opportunities to write op-eds, blogs or Letters to the Editor; speak at local non-profit organizations; and possibly speak to policymakers on CFP Board issues
- Work with existing media relationships and develop new ones
The estimated minimum time involved for these activities is about 4 hours a month (including participation in the webinar).
How Do I Apply to Be a CFP Board Ambassador?
To be considered for our CFP Board Ambassador program, submit a completed CFP Board Ambassador Application by the August 18, 2014 deadline.
The application requires you to provide information about your background and experience, your thoughts on a number of topics, as well as provide supporting documents and references.
Before you complete the application, please take time to consider your responses to the following questions:
- What do you think are the most important messages that need to be communicated to the public and the media about the CFP® marks and financial planning?
- What are the one or two questions that you might find most difficult to address if they were asked of you?
- What has been your most satisfying experience as a CFP® professional?
Helpful Hint: If you plan to complete your application online, you may want to compose your answers in a format you can copy and paste into the online application.
The supporting documents required with your application include:
- Current résumé
- Writing sample (preferably published, with name and date of publication)
- Written recommendation from a colleague within the financial planning profession
Helpful Hint: If you have these supporting documents in a single file (PDF or Word), you can upload the file through our online application form. If you have these supporting documents in separate files, they can be submitted separately by email.
Please note that as part of the application review process, CFP Board will conduct a background check. The extent of this check may include various state and federal searches for any past disciplinary history. If you choose not to provide this information, CFP Board cannot process your application.
Complete the Application