February 22, 2016: The “DJ” TV ad is back on national cable networks! During 2016, CFP Board’s Public Awareness Campaign’s primary advertising and communications efforts will are again focused on the spring tax season, when finances are top of mind, to maximize the impact of our advertising budget. Similar to last year, we will have a second run of advertising in the fall.
Here are highlights of our spring 2016 Public Awareness Campaign activities:
- TV: February 22-April 10 – Our "DJ" TV ad will air on national cable television networks, including CNN, NBC Sports, Golf Channel, Fox News and MSNBC.
- Radio: March 14-April 10 – Radio ads and sponsorship messages will air on popular NPR shows such as "Morning Edition" and "All Things Considered," as well as ESPN's "Mike & Mike" radio show and TV simulcast.
- Online: Throughout the spring – New online banner ads and online videos will display on popular websites where consumers get news and information about current events, finances, sports and entertainment. Look for the ads on the websites of CNN, Bloomberg, CBS Sports, NBC Sports, Food & Wine, CNN Money and Fortune, as well as on Google, Bing and Yahoo.
- Social Media: Throughout the spring – We are increasing our activities on social media and will be advertising on Facebook and Twitter to share tips about finances and encourage use of our “Find a CFP® professional” tool.
All of the campaign’s advertisements and communications lead to our consumer website, LetsMakeAPlan.org, which was recently revamped. We’ve emphasized the “Find a CFP® Professional” search tool throughout the site. And we’ve made it easier for visitors to customize the information they’re looking for according to their life stages. The website will be updated with new content every Wednesday, with blog posts written by CFP Board’s Consumer Advocate, Eleanor Blayney, CFP®, and our dedicated team of CFP Board Ambassadors.
September 28, 2015: The TV advertisement from CFP Board’s Public Awareness Campaign is back on the air through October 25 for its spring run, and radio spots are running on NPR and ESPN. Our print ads will run in Robb Report (Oct.); Atlantic and MORE (Nov.); and Kiplinger’s (Dec.).
CFP® professionals have access to a Toolkit with the media schedule and highlights from the current week's TV advertising schedule, and tools they can use to help us extend the campaign’s reach. Learn more about the Public Awareness Campaign and access the Toolkit.
September 22, 2015: CFP Board is pleased to announce two new “extreme” online banner ads running on popular websites like CBS Sports, Food & Wine, Fortune, The Atlantic, US News, NBC Sports and Digital Trends.
The new "Snowboarder" and "Storm Chaser" online banner ads, along with the "Tightrope" and "Kayak" ads released earlier this year, highlight that financial planning without a certified professional is risky business.
May 18, 2015: A Radio Ad Script is available! Enhance your audio appearances with this script, based on radio spots CFP Board is airing in 2015 on national networks such as ESPN and NPR.
You can also download and listen to the script as it was presented during programming on NPR.
May 5, 2015: Customizable Black-and-White print ads were made available for CFP® professionals to add their own copy, input contact information and get the word out!
The Public Awareness Campaign, now in its fifth year, has made a significant impact on Americans’ awareness of CFP® certification and the value of working with CFP® professionals. Unaided awareness among the target audience saw a dramatic 6 percentage point increase in 2014, according to a brand tracking study conducted by IPSOS. Since the campaign began in 2011, unaided awareness among the target audience has increased 13 percentage points – going from 17 to 30 percent.
April 2, 2015: Two new “extreme” online banner ads are running on popular websites like CBS Sports, Food & Wine, Fortune, The Atlantic, US News, NBC Sports and Digital Trends.
The new "Tightrope" and "Kayak" online banner ads, along with the "Shark Diver" ad released earlier this year, highlight that financial planning without a certified professional is risky business indeed.
March 27, 2015: The TV advertisement from CFP Board’s Public Awareness Campaign is back on the air through April 12 for its spring run, and radio spots are running through mid-April on NPR and ESPN. April editions of MORE, Travel + Leisure, and Financial Times include our new print ads featuring “extreme” sports, all of which highlight the CFP® certification as the highest standard in personal financial advice. CFP® professionals have access to a Toolkit with the media schedule and highlights from the current week's TV advertising schedule, and tools they can use to help us extend the campaign’s reach. Learn more about the Public Awareness Campaign and access the Toolkit.
February 16, 2015: CFP Board enters its fifth year of consumer advertising to raise awareness of the importance of working with a CFP® professional. In 2015 we are continuing with the successful “DJ” TV campaign, using both 30- and 15-second commercials, and introducing a new print ad and new online banners that stress the importance of working with “the highest standard” of financial advisor. The new ads feature people who take chances with extreme hobbies but stress that you shouldn’t take any chances with your finances by not working with an advisor who is not CFP® certified. The ads lead the reader to LetsMakeAPlan.org to search for a CFP® professional. All the ads are available on the Public Awareness Campaign toolkit to download.
- February 3, 2014: CFP Board launches the next phase of the Public Awareness Campaign featuring new TV, print and online banner ads. The new campaign urges consumers to look for a CFP® professional, the “highest standard” of financial professional. The TV ads feature consumers taking financial advice from someone who looks like a financial planner, but is actually a club DJ. The print and online ads feature two people who look like financial professionals and ask if you can tell the difference. Point is, “if they’re not a CFP® pro, you just don’t know”. All the ads direct consumers to LetsMakeAPlan.org and are available to download. For more information about the campaign and a look behind the scenes, click here.
- August 9, 2013: CFP Board ran several TV ads as part of our Public Awareness Campaign. A 30-second TV ad aired on national cable networks such as CNN, MSNBC, ESPN and Travel Channel along with custom vignettes created by HGTV and National Geographic.
- June 4, 2013: Our “Chess” print advertisement joins three existing print ads that have been featured in popular print publications including Money, Fortune, Time, National Geographic, Golf and Real Simple. A customizable version of the “Chess” and other print ads are available to CFP® professionals, so they can personalize and place in local or national publications, such as community newspapers, business journals, city magazines, forum newsletters or national magazines.
- May 16, 2013: Three new online banner ads have been added to the advertising for CFP Board’s “Let’s Make a Plan” public awareness campaign. The new “Hero” and “Kaleidoscope” online banner ads emphasize the importance of working with a CFP® professional and are available from our Public Awareness Campaign Toolkit, with instructions for adding the ads to your website.
- April 3, 2013: CFP Board's 2013 Media Schedule is available for download and review by CFP® professionals, along with samples of "spreadvertorial" print advertisements appearing in National Geographic, Golf and Real Simple magazines. Learn more >
- January 17, 2013: CFP Board has developed customizable client letters that CFP® professionals can send to clients and potential clients to highlight their qualifications as a CFP® professional and encourage them to take the next steps with their financial planning. Learn more >
- November 20, 2012: A recent survey sponsored by CFP Board and the Consumer Federation of America found that Americans with a personal financial plan feel more confident and report more success managing money, savings and investments than those who have not prepared a financial plan. A summary and full report of the 2012 Household Financial Planning Survey findings are available to CFP® professionals and our other stakeholders who wish to share this information on the benefits of having a financial plan. Learn more »
- October 1, 2012: CFP Board is again running sponsorships on National Public Radio (NPR). The sponsorships, which mention that "CFP® professionals are helping bring clients' finances together" are on air Monday through Friday from 6-9 a.m. and from 4-6 p.m. from October 1 through November 21, 2012. Programming highlights include Morning Edition, Newscasts and All Things Considered. Tune in and listen for the messages, or click below to listen to the audio files:
NPR Sponsorship Message 1: Message 1 (MP3 audio file; 265KB)
NPR Sponsorship Message 2: Message 2 (MP3 audio file; 268KB)
- September 4, 2012: CFP Board released its newest online banner ad for the Public Awareness Campaign. The "Job Changers" ad targets consumers who are changing or have changed jobs with the message that when your job changes, your whole financial outlook can change as well and only a CFP® professional is uniquely qualified to help bring all your finances together.
- August 6, 2012: CFP® professionals can help CFP Board extend the reach of the Public Awareness Campaign via social media. Learn more »
- July 13, 2012: During CFP Board's Business Update Webinar on July 13, 2012, Nancy Kistner, CFP®, CFP Board's 2012 Chair-Elect, shared details from a brand tracking study showing the progress made during the campaign's first year. View a recording of the update