July 2014 CFP® Exam Update – Standard Testing is Complete
(July 28, 2014)
All answer sheets have been scanned. This week, potentially problematic exam items, identified either by candidate comments or statistical performance, are being reviewed to determine their scoring disposition.
Please submit any medical/emergency withdrawal requests to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, August 1, 2014 to be considered.
The deadline for submitting any test site issues or exam item challenges was July 23. Any test site issues or exam item challenges CFP Board receives after that date will not be considered.
Candidates are encouraged to review their personal contact information as reflected in their online CFP Board accounts and make any necessary updates. Please check spelling and capitalization of names..
Upcoming Exam Dates
Nov. 18-22, 2014
June 2, 2014
Education Verification Deadline
Oct. 15, 2014
Registration & Scheduling
June 2 - Nov. 4, 2014*
*Candidates may reschedule within the existing as late as four days prior to their scheduled appointment, subject to seat availability and rescheduling fees. Register for the CFP® Exam
Recorded Webinar — The CFP® Exam: Interpreting Your Exam Results and Advice to Re-Takers
This webinar provides information on interpreting CFP® Certification Examination results. It also includes advice to re-takers. A recording is available below.
Having trouble viewing this video? View this video in an alternate format >
Held on January 9, 2014, the webinar was hosted by Steve Barkley, CAE, CFP Board's Director of Examinations, and includes:
- How to interpret your CFP® exam results
- How to understand your performance diagnostic reports, for both the Job Task Domain and Topic levels
- How the reports can guide your study plan
- Suggestions for those planning to re-take the exam
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
Download the Presentation Slides (PPT, 937KB)
Exam Scoring Process
Exam results are posted online to examinees' secure accounts approximately five weeks after the exam dates. CFP Board does not disclose exam results over the phone or by fax.
The activities involved in the exam scoring process include:
- Collecting and reconciling exam materials (including for examinees who, due to religious requirements or disabilities, may be provided alternate exam administration dates up to a week following the standard exam dates);
- Reviewing all exam site concerns, exam item challenges and medical/emergency withdrawal requests submitted by examinees;
- Determining the scoring disposition of any exam items that are challenged;
- Preparing a statistical analysis of the exam administration;
- Determining the scoring parameters and cut score; and
- Preparing and conducting a quality control review of the exam results files.
The CFP® Certification Examination is a pass or fail exam. In addition to a pass or fail result, diagnostic feedback is also provided as part of the examination results to help identify areas of relative strength and weakness.
About the CFP® Certification Examination
The CFP® Certification Examination is designed to assess your ability to apply financial planning knowledge to real-life financial planning situations. By passing this exam, you demonstrate to the public that you are at the appropriate level of competency required to practice financial planning.
The CFP® Certification Examination is scheduled to last 10 hours over a day and a half and is held three times a year, generally on the third Friday and Saturday of March, July and November. The exam is a pencil-and-paper format and consists of one four-hour session on Friday afternoon, and two three-hour sessions on Saturday. Exam locations are available in more than 50 locations around the U.S. (The CFP® exam is transitioning to a computer-based format beginning in November 2014. Learn more.)
The CFP® Certification Examination is a pass or fail exam. Exam results are released approximately five weeks after the exam date.
You can apply for the CFP® Certification Examination when you have successfully fulfilled CFP Board's education coursework requirement.
Learn more and register for an upcoming exam